Saturday, November 21, 2009

Streams of whiskey



There is a Pogues song, Streams of Whiskey, which goes:

I am going, I am going
any which way the wind will be blowing
I am going, I am going
where streams of whiskey are flowing


I have been singing this song constantly in the lead up to the trip and then all along the way. At first it was difficult to convince Sam that whiskey actually flowed down the streams in Scotland, but once he took a look at the dark peaty colours of the streams he was a believer. Yes! Whiskey really does flow freely down the streams in this part of the world.

I've sampled a couple of whiskies so far on this trip, some notable, others not.

Talkiser is one of the more notable ones, made by the Sea on the Isle of Skye.

Dalwhinnie was another that I had not heard of but took a chance on in a little Edinburgh bar, and was pleasantly surprised. It is also made in the Highlands, known for coming from the 'highest distillery in Scotland'. Dalwhinnie means meeting place, because it was where ancient cattle drovers used to meet on their route through the mountains.

There have been others, but in all honesty, I've forgotten their names. Will be sure to take better notes next time I am having a few drams.

No comments:

Post a Comment