Thursday, November 19, 2009

Sick

So I have a cold. A really snotty, shivery, snuffly, bad one. I partly blame myself, for hiking around small towns and up mountains in wet shoes, and I partly blame the UK weather. Scotland is particularly damp. Who would have thunk it, huh?

Nevertheless I am blattling on, adamant about traipsing through every glen and climbing every ben (mountain). And the view, once at the top, is especially amazing.



The scenery around here is beautiful (here being the west coast of the Scottish Highlands). We were told to dip our faces in the stream for seven seconds for eternal beauty. So I did. Sick yes, beautiful maybe not.




This place is called the Faerie Glen. It is absolutely amazing. A bit like Hanging Rock, where there are so many different formations and if you go around a corner you can suddenly feel very separated from your group and not be able to hear them at all. But beautiful at the same time - spectacular views from the top of each mound. The above photo is Sam standing on one of the highest points. If I was a faerie I would definitely live here.

Then we climbed up the Bodach an Stoir (Old Man of Storr). It was getting dark, the path was extremely muddy and we were taking a bit of a gamble. But our tour guide, Graeme, seemed to think that it was ok, so we trudged on. Once at a height the view was, again, brilliant. We were pretty high up. The photo below shows Sam with the main rock that is jutting out, and then some people climbing up to it to give you some perspective. On the way back down it was dark, raining and extremely slippery. But we finally made it back to the bus ok, and I lived (albeit with a cold) to tell the tale.








To aid my health I have been downing a few hot toddies for their medicinal properties. This was supposed to be a whiskey blog, afterall, wasn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment